Ketema consulting Engineers Experiences
Ketema Consulting Engineers has world-wide experience in undertaking feasibility studies, detail design, preparation of tender documents, preparation of specifications and monitoring the performance of water supply and wastewater projects including water treatment works, wastewater treatment plant, pumping stations, intakes, dams, service reservoirs, transmission mains, water distribution systems, trunk sewer and wastewater collection systems. Our expertise and experience in the development of water supply and sanitation includes the very largest scale schemes for major cities down to small schemes for rural areas.
Our field of activities mostly covers water supply development, wastewater collection and treatment systems as well as urban drainage management’s infrastructures as briefly described below:
Water Supply and Sanitation Projects
Ketema Consulting Engineers recently completed various water supply projects within and overseas. Among the project, KCE has successfully carried out the design water supply and sanitation projects on sub contractual /association with an international consulting firm across the six countries in East Africa (, Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania), West Africa (Zambia) and in the Middle East (Oman and Yemen). The Projects are mostly financed by Government, World Bank, African Development Bank and NGOs.
KCE has successfully completed the following main projects in Ethiopia and Outside Ethiopia since of its foundations:
- Dodola and Arjo Town Water Supply and Sanitation Project.
- Planning and Implementation of Lega Tafo Legedadi Town Water Supply & Sanitation Project.
- Planning and Implementation of four Oromia Towns: Sire, Chancho, Miesso and Baroda Towns, Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Programs.
- Prefeasibility Study, Feasibility Study, Detail Design, Business Plan Preparation & Capacity Building for Gimbichu Town Water Supply and Sanitation Project, SNNPRS
- Planning and Implementation of five Oromia Towns: Tefki, Gindo, Yebu, Toba and Nopha Towns, Water Supply and Sanitation Improvement Programs.
- Dire Dawa Water Supply and Sanitation Project – Study & Design, Construction Supervision of Water Supply & Sanitation for Low Income Areas of Dire Dawa City
- Port Sudan Water & Sanitation Rehabilitation & Expansion with Mott Macdonald, Sudan
- Water supply study and design of KILINTO AND FECHE areas of Addis Ababa City
- Water Supply Project for Yeka Abado I, II & III Housing Development Project, Addis Ababa
- Improvement of Water Supply & Sanitation Services in Ndola & Luanshya Regions Project (Zambia)
- Development of Concept Designs for Water Supply to Seeb Wilayat of Greater Muscat (Oman),
- Kigoma Water Supply & Sanitation Project (Tanzania),
- Nairobi Water Distribution Network Design with Mott Macdonald (Kenya),
- Water Supply, Wastewater Collection, Disposal and Treatment Systems for Hadibo and Qalansiyah in Soqotra Island Project (Yemen)
- Water Supply Project- Basha Wolde & Meskel Entrance Housing Development in Addis Ababa,
- Water Supply Project for Yeka Ayat, Bole Ayat I, II & III and Summit II Housing Development in Addis Ababa,
Waste management Projects
KCE has also successfully carried out the design wastewater collection, disposal and treatment system in Ethiopia and outside Ethiopia. Among the projects
- Waste collection, disposal and treatment for Yeka Abado Housing Development project:
- Waste collection, disposal and treatment for Meskel Entrance & Basha Wolde Housing Development project
- Waste collection, disposal and treatment for Bole Ayat III, Bole Ayat IV, Bole Ayat V, Yeka Ayat III and Bole Submit II Housing Development project
- Wastewater Treatment plant design for Hadibo and Qalansiyah in Soqotra Island project in Yemen with Euroconsult
Similarly, KCE has successfully rendered the following major drainage works:
- Storm Drainage design for Yeka Abado Housing Development project
- Storm Drainage design for Meskel Entrance & Basha Wolde Housing Development project
- Storm Drainage design for Bole Ayat III, Bole Ayat IV, Bole Ayat V, Yeka Ayat III and Bole Submit II Housing Development project
Water Supply System Rehabilitation and Leakage Reduction
This is the essential components of our study to avoid unnecessary expenditure in any water supply in both urban and rural areas. Hence, our firm carries out studies and surveys that are used to assess the extent of the problems, their cause and the most appropriate remedial measures for existing system rehabilitation and leakage reduction. Investigations may cover water quality, pipe bursts, pipe condition assessments, customer complaints and perceptions, etc. Our Nairobi water distribution network modelling project is the best example of water systems rehabilitation.
In addition, KEC also offers water distribution network model calibration for urban water distribution system for effective water distribution management.
KCE offers a comprehensive service in environmental and pollution management studies for a wide spectrum of activities, and through every stage of a project’s development. Our environmental impact assessment team comprises personnel drawn from a broad range of scientific disciplines. KCE services include ecological surveys, noise, air and water pollution modeling, together with the design of mitigation methods and full project audit. Our environmental assessment work is not restricted to the physical environment, but includes specialist advice to prevent negative impacts on, and encourage the development of, the human and the social environments.
Examples of recent projects where our environmental consultants have been instrumental to the success of the project include:
- Yeka Abado Housing Development project
- Meskel Entrance & Basha Wolde Housing Development project
- Bole Ayat III, Bole Ayat IV, Bole Ayat V, Yeka Ayat III and Bole Submit II Housing Development project
Our principal activities in environmental studies include:
- Environmental impact assessments to determine the effect of engineering projects on natural ecosystems
- Identification and planning of measures and controls to avoid and alleviate environmental damage
- Surface water and groundwater pollution control
- Hydrological and ecological studies.
The environmental effects of the development of water resource, water supply and wastewater scheme will be a major source of concern and KCE aim to engage on a number of studies to identify the environmental impact of such schemes as well as preparing proposals to avoid or minimize environmental damage for the main scheme components in water, wastewater and storm drainage and ancillary works such as access roads.
Capacity Building & Training
We recognize that this is often a particularly important part of the assignment for the beneficiary, and that a careful approach is needed in order to maximize the value of capacity-building elements of the project.
Our specialists have extensive experience of working as part of integrated teams with clients/town Utilities and recognize the importance of using a sensitive approach to the work that maximizes the benefits of “on-the-job” training. We are also familiar with development of specific training programmes to improve, corporate and enhance individual skills – from training needs assessments through to delivery of specific training activities.
Training, technical assistance and transfer of knowledge to the town Utilities staff are key aspects of our many projects. The range of our training activities is summarized below:
- On-the-job training and technical assistance;
- Seminars and workshops;
- Specific training projects
- Preparation of Guidelines, toolkits, operation manuals and other reference materials
Training is provided in all aspects of project work including project planning, project management, studies and investigations, design, construction supervision, operation, maintenance and monitoring of water supply and sanitation system.
On our most projects, we regularly undertake on-the-job training as part of its project work, working closely with counterpart organizations. Counterpart staffs learn by active involvement in the day-to-day activities of the project, with the help of experienced personnel. Problems are discussed and analysed with local staff so that the most appropriate and effective solutions are found. Design or procedure manuals are often produced which are then used as the basis for subsequent training. On-the-job training is supplemented by field exercises, seminars and lectures.
KCE is able to undertake capacity building, training and follow-up of progress improvements on the town water supply and sanitation operation. We believe that capacity building for the Town Water Board and utility operator particularly improves their operational efficiency, financial & customers’ management, performance monitoring and reporting.